!CLICK!



FOR



!DISCOUNT!



FOR



YOU



NOW


Wednesday, January 25, 2012

#CHEAP Dress Codes: Of Three Girlhoods--My Mother's, My Father's, and Mine

Dress Codes: Of Three Girlhoods--My Mother's, My Father's, and Mine


Dress Codes: Of Three Girlhoods--My Mother's, My Father's, and Mine


CHEAP,Discount,Buy,Sale,Bestsellers,Good,For,REVIEW, Dress Codes: Of Three Girlhoods--My Mother's, My Father's, and Mine,Wholesale,Promotions,Shopping,Shipping,Dress Codes: Of Three Girlhoods--My Mother's, My Father's, and Mine,BestSelling,Off,Savings,Gifts,Cool,Hot,Top,Sellers,Overview,Specifications,Feature,on sale,Dress Codes: Of Three Girlhoods--My Mother's, My Father's, and Mine Dress Codes: Of Three Girlhoods--My Mother's, My Father's, and Mine






Dress Codes: Of Three Girlhoods--My Mother's, My Father's, and Mine Overview


"There’s no news like hearing irrefutable proof that you’re not the sole cause of your parents'’ woes, your father's drinking, your unshakable feeling that you’re not put together quite right and finding out the problem all along was your father's unrequited yearning for angora." --Noelle Howey from Dress Codes

Throughout her childhood in suburban Ohio, Noelle struggled to gain love and affection from her distant father. In compensating for her father’s brusqueness, Noelle idolized her nurturing tomboy mother and her conservative grandma who tried to turn her into "a little lady." At age 14, Noelle's mom told her the family secret straight out: "Dad likes to wear women’s clothes."

As Noelle copes with a turbulent adolescence, further confused by the male and female role models she had as a girl, her father begins to metamorphose into the loving parent she had always longed for--only now outfitted in pedal pushers and pink lipstick. Could becoming a woman make her father a completely different person? With edgy humor, courage, and remarkable sensitivity, Noelle Howey challenges all of our beliefs in what constitutes gender and a "normal" family.




Dress Codes: Of Three Girlhoods--My Mother's, My Father's, and Mine Specifications


If the only time you think you've seen a transsexual is on the Jerry Springer show, Noelle Howey's thoughtful, funny memoir of her suburban childhood with a cross-dressing dad may leave you wondering where all the fireworks are. The first half of Dress Codes is like anyone's story of parental neglect. "I had a dad possibly like yours," Howey explains, "sullen, sporadically hostile, frequently vacant." It was her loving mother who eventually confided her father's secret when Howey was 15, by which time it came as a relief that the remoteness, the drinking, the mood swings were not the young Noelle's fault, but the result of her father's constantly stifled "yearning for angora." Although the early chapters are interesting, Dress Codes really takes off at the halfway point, when her father realized he was not a heterosexual male transvestite, but a woman. His sexual transition, and the family's awkward adjustment to it--including the author's inability in high school to keep any secret aside from this One Big Secret--is written with warmth and insight, and colored with a lonely girl's lingering disappointment. --Regina Marler